The following step-by-step instructions demonstrate how to request reimbursement for expenses already approved via an Expense Authorization.
Before you begin: Gather all supporting documents
Include item price and circle/highlight/underline the event date and item price.
a. Itemize receipts from the vendor with zero balance to demonstrate what was purchased, and proof of successful completion.
If you have any questions about expense policies, please contact your department's Human Resources Representative.
Step 1) Log into the SF Employee Portal via the SF Employee Gateway: https://sfgov.org/sfc/employee-gateway
Step 2) Under the Expense Authorizations section in the Employee Links tab, click View Expense Authorization.
Step 3) The Expense Authorization Search page displays. Click Approved in the menu on the left to view all Approved Expense Authorizations, then click the drop-down arrow next to the Expense Authorization you would like to copy. Click Copy To Expense Report.
Step 4) The Expense Entry page is displayed. Click on the OK button.
Step 5) A new Expense Report will be created with all the data copied from your approved Expense Authorization. Please review all data for accuracy and note the following:
- Review and update the Date to the actual date of the expense incurred as the Date entered in the Expense Authorization may have been an estimate.
- Review and update the Reimbursement Amount to the actual amount of the expense incurred as the Amount entered in the Expense Authorization may have been an estimate. Please note the updated Reimbursement Amount may not exceed the amount approved in the Expense Authorization.
- Do not change the Reimbursement Method from Direct Deposit. Prepaid option is only for expense reports that have been prepaid by the City (i.e. you will not get reimbursed if you select Prepaid).
Step 6) Once you have reviewed and updated the Expense Report, please attach all supporting documentation and click Review and Submit.
Please note that attachments from Expense Authorizations are not copied over to Expense Reports. You must re-attach any required documentation to support the expense. Supporting documents may include itemized receipts from the vendor with zero balance to demonstrate what was purchased, and proof of successful completion.
For additional information about how to submit an Expense Report, please refer to our How to Request an Expense Reimbursement article.
Step 7) The Expense Report Summary is displayed. It shows that the Expense Authorization is associated to the Expense Report. If everything looks good, click Submit.
Step 8) You have learned how to create an Expense Report from a Tuition Reimbursement Expense Authorization. Following submission, your reimbursement request will be routed for approval.
References & Additional Expense Reimbursement Resources
- Department of Human Resources (DHR) Online Tuition Reimbursement site - comprehensive overview of the City's tuition reimbursement policies and process
- DHR Training: Tuition Reimbursement Process Improvements (powerpoint) - DHR Training to help guide you throughout the tuition reimbursement process
- Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) & Labor Agreements - Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) negotiated with employee organizations which represent the employees of the City and County of San Francisco
- Department Representatives for Tuition Reimbursement Questions - If your expense authorization was routed to the incorrect supervisor, please email the department contact listed here update the field for future requests and email your department expense manager to reassign the expense authorization to the correct supervisor
- Municipal Executives' Association (MEA) Equipment Guidelines
Please submit an SF Employee Portal Support Request if you have any additional questions that are not already answered in the resources linked above.